German board certification Internal medicine
German board certification Internal medicine and Cardiology
German board certification Medical Intensive Care
German board certification Emergency Medicine
Heart failure specialist (DGK)
German medical licence
Education and Career
Attending physician, Interdisciplinary Medical Intensive Care, Medical Center – University of Freiburg, Germany
Main interest: acute heart failure, pharmacology in intensive care
Habilitation (venia legendi)
Attending physician, Heart Center, University of Freiburg, Germany, Department of Cardiology and Angiology I
Leader of the Cardiovascular Pharmacology Research Group Freiburg
Postdoctoral fellow, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Freiburg, Germany. Working group of Prof. Dr. Lutz Hein, cardiovascular epigenetics.
Research fellow, Heart Center, University of Freiburg, Germany, Department of Cardiology and Angiology I. Working group of Prof. Dr. Martin Moser, vascular biology.
Clinical fellow, Heart Center, University of Freiburg, Germany, Department of Cardiology and Angiology I, Prof. Dr. Christoph Bode.
Doctoral student, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Freiburg, Germany, Prof. Dr. Lutz Hein.
Thesis: Influence of mineralocorticoid receptors in cardiac myocytes on cardiac hypertrophy and function (summa cum laude)
Medical school, University of Freiburg, Germany
- Speaker of the Scientific Network on ‘Strategies for therapeutic targeting of the Aldosterone-Mineralocorticoid Receptor signaling pathway (ADMIRE network)‘, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Member of the German Cardiac Society, working group “Genetik und Molekularbiologie kardiovaskulärer Erkrankungen“
- Member of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), working group “Cellular Biology of the Heart”, and the Heart Failure Association of the ESC
- Member of the European Section of the Aldosterone Council
- Guest Editor British Journal of Pharmacology; Reviewer for Circulation, Circulation Research, European Heart Journal, Hypertension, Cardiovascular Research, JACC Basic and Translational Science, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Journal of Endocrinology, and others
Awards and Fellowships
Betra-Ottenstein Advanced Clinician Scientist Fellowship
Research Award of the Working Group on Heart and Diabetes in the German Cardiac Society
Heart Center Freiburg University Young Investigator Award
Abstract by Lother et al. Cardiac Ly6Chigh Monocyte Accumulation and Remodeling Depend on the Mineralocorticoid Receptor in Endothelial Cells rated as Best of American Heart Association (AHA) Specialty Conferences: Hypertension 2016.
Research advancement award Dresdner Herz-Kreislauf-Tage (Press release)
Fellowship of the European Section of the Aldosterone Council (ESAC Germany)
Top Paper in Hypertension (Basic science category) 2011 for Lother et al. Ablation of mineralocorticoid receptors in myocytes but not in fibroblasts preserves cardiac function. Hypertension. 57:746-54.
Poster prize of the European Section of the Aldosterone Council for the presentation by Lother et al. Gene expression analysis in isolated mouse cardiac myocytes after myocyte-specific MR gene deletion